This is a very good carrot cake that is suitable also for cupcakes. The frosting on the cupcakes is cream cheese frosting (yummy) and the carrots were made from fondant. I think it was summer when I made these, in the pics they look a little melty.
The cake is so good that one of my friends left this comment when I posted on facebook:
“ARGH! MORE! MORE! MORE! Give meeeeeeeeeeeeee moooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeee! I can’t get enough in my mouth at once! Keeeeeeeeep away, or I’ll chase you with my sticky fingers ‘cos it’s all miiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnneeeeee! (carroty grrrrrrrrrrrrr! )”
This carrot cake calls for three 9 inch sandwich tins, but can also be made in one larger cake tin, and cut in half to add icing in between layers. However, baking this in one tin will dramatically increase the cooking time. Test with skewer after 55 mins
Serves: 10 Cooking time: 30 mins Difficulty: Easy – for beginners Dietary guidance: v
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bircab soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
350 grams butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound carrots (approx 8-10 large medium carrots) peeled and grated (or use the left over flesh from making carrot juice – this makes a finer textured cake)
2 cups chopped pecans
cream cheese icing (see seperate recipe)
1. preheat oven to 180. line and butter three 9 inch round cake pans, dust with flour, tap out excess.
2. whisk ogether flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and nutmeg.
3. beat butter and sugars togetheron medium speed until plae and fluffy. add egs – one at a time – beating well after each. beat together three mins.
4. add vanilla carrots and water. beat well until combined.
5. reduce speed to low and add flour, then 1 cup of the pecans.
6. scrape better into prepared tins and bake rotating tins half way through, until golden brown and a skewer comes away clean – approx 30 mins.
7. let cool in pans on wire rack – then turn out and let cool completely
8. place one cake on platter and top with 1 cup cream cheese icing. repeat with second laer. add third and final layer and cover with rest of icing. press remeining 1 cup chopped pacans into sides.
9. refrigerate 1 hour before serving