perfect pastry for both savory and sweet pies – thanks again martha stewart
Dietary guidance: v
* 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
* 1 1/2 cups (3 US sticks = 12oz = 340g) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
* 1/2 to 3/4 cup ice water
1. Place flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade; process until combined. Add the butter pieces; process until mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds. If you dont have a food processor – this can be done with hands.
2. Add the ice water in a slow, steady stream through the feed tube with the machine running, just until dough holds together. Do not process more than 30 seconds. Test by squeezing dough; if it is still crumbly, add a bit more water.
3. Turn the dough out onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Divide the dough in two pieces with one piece slightly larger than the other. Grasping the ends of the plastic wrap with your hands, press dough into a flat circle with your fists. This makes rolling easier than if the pastry is chilled as a ball. Wrap the dough in the plastic and chill for at least an hour.