Chocolate Mud Cake. Click on the image above if you want to see how I made those yummy little pigs!
It’s moist. So, so moist. And choclatey. The recipe makes two round 10-11 inch cakes, or one 11 inch by 11 inch square cake.
Serves: 16 Preparation time: 15 mins Cooking time: 30-35
230g butter (room temperature)
230g caster sugar
230g light brown sugar
8 medium eggs (room temperature)
340g self-raising flour
100g cocoa powder
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
generous pinch of salt
10 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream or low fat Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons good vanilla extract
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C or 350F and prepare two 10 or 11 inch cake tins with baking parchment.
2. Sift dry ingredients together.
3. Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
4. Gradually beat in the eggs. If it looks like curdling add two tablespoons from the flour mixture.
5. Fold in the flour mixture, and creme fraiche, alternating between the two -starting and ending with the flour.
6. Divide evenly between tins and gently encourage the mix to the sides.
7. Bake for 30-35 mins, until they smell ready and a skewer comes out clean.
8. Let cool 5 mins in tins, then turn on to a wire rack to cool.
For decoration how-to see November 2011 blog